Monday, July 25, 2011

summer strawberry freezer jam

I have never made jam before, but have always wanted to try (especially with all the cute labels I have found on pinterest!). So with the help of my mom we made strawberry freezer jam and I think it turned out pretty good. 
Strawberry Freezer Jam
Crush strawberries with potato masher

Combine berries and sugar, mixing well until most sugar dissolves. Let stand for 10 minutes

Add pectin and lemon juice. Let stand for 3 minutes, or until most of the sugar is dissolved.

Pour into clean jar or plastic containers. Cover with tight fitting lids. Leave at room temperature for 24 hours or until set.  Freeze up to 1 year or refrigerate up to 3 weeks.

* something I’d like to try next time – adding 1 tbsp orange or lemon zest to crushed strawberries before mixing with sugar.  Seriously this recipe has endless possibilities, you could do it with pretty much any fruit. Strawberry-banana, blackberry-peach, raspberry-necatrine…the list goes on. 


I made a small batch of petite lemon scones to go with the jam (for everyone at work to enjoy). 
The labels that I used can be found here. I made the labels smaller for my 1 cup jars, and then printed them on label paper. Don't freeze the jars with the labels on them because they will get all soggy.

Can't wait to make more jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment